I have enjoyed nature and it's beauty for as long as I can remember. Photographing it to share is a new hobby. I still have much to learn. Any helpful hints and constructive criticism is always welcome.


I will try to post new items weekly so check back. It is my pleasure to share nature's gifts with you. I find myself amazed at some of the beauty I find while out for a walk.


Feel free to use any postings for personal use. Uses for monetary gains are strictly prohibited.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Just living is not enough." said the butterfly. "One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."

- Hans Christian Anderson

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.

-John Burroughs

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Fall birds

The daylight is waning and the cold weather is gaining on us.  Many of summer's birds have moved south to warmer climates where food will be plentiful.  On warm fall days, birds could be seen filling up on the few bugs still in the area, preparing for their long flights.

We have seen the return of the black-eyed Juncos and know it's a sure sign cold and snow will be here soon.
Dark eyed junco
White-breasted nuthatch with a sunflower seed in it's beak.

This is the same nuthatch.  I was happy in the previous picture the bird let me get so close to photograph  him.  This picture showed me why....he's missing an eye!


A ruby crowned kinglet.  I read the females do not have the red feathers on top of their heads, so I am guessing this was the female.
This is the male ruby crowned kinglet.  He shows his red feathers when he feels threatened.  Obviously, I looked like danger to him.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what a wonderful shot of the tiny ruby crowned kinglet! We have them here, but I have never actually seen one! How fortunate that his alarm was up when you took the photo! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete