I have enjoyed nature and it's beauty for as long as I can remember. Photographing it to share is a new hobby. I still have much to learn. Any helpful hints and constructive criticism is always welcome.


I will try to post new items weekly so check back. It is my pleasure to share nature's gifts with you. I find myself amazed at some of the beauty I find while out for a walk.


Feel free to use any postings for personal use. Uses for monetary gains are strictly prohibited.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Just living is not enough." said the butterfly. "One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."

- Hans Christian Anderson

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.

-John Burroughs

Monday, January 17, 2011

Poison Frogs

Poison Dart frogs are mainly found in humid, tropical climates, like rainforests, in Central and South America.  Each have unique markings and come in many bright colors.  The bright colors warn predators to stay away.

The poison is stored in skin glands along their bodies.  They provide a chemical defense against predators, although, one type of ground snake is unfazed by it.  Their poison is not made by their own body, but gotten through their diet of ants, centipedes and mites.

A blue dart frog. 

Another blue poison frog.  You can see his markings are slightly different.

A green one.  His little suction cup feet allow him to climb the wall.

Orange and black frogs.
These frogs were fascinating to watch.  They were a bit tough to photograph as the cage has a mist pumped in to it frequently to keep their environment humid.

No comments:

Post a Comment