I have enjoyed nature and it's beauty for as long as I can remember. Photographing it to share is a new hobby. I still have much to learn. Any helpful hints and constructive criticism is always welcome.


I will try to post new items weekly so check back. It is my pleasure to share nature's gifts with you. I find myself amazed at some of the beauty I find while out for a walk.


Feel free to use any postings for personal use. Uses for monetary gains are strictly prohibited.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Just living is not enough." said the butterfly. "One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."

- Hans Christian Anderson

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.

-John Burroughs

Sunday, January 23, 2011

What's that Bird?

I happen to look out my window last winter and I noticed an odd looking bird at my feeders.  It was eating on the ground near the Mourning Doves, but it was so much larger, as you can see in the first picture.  I thought it was a pigeon at first, but the markings looked more like a dove.

After taking a few pictures, I got my bird book out to help identify it.  It turned out to be an Eurasian Collared-Dove.  Not a common guy around the midwest at all.

The birds were brought to the Bahamas from Eurasia back in the 1970's.  The population has adapted and numbers are increasing.  They are found further and further north in the United States every year.  They prefer living in smaller towns and suburbs.

It is unknown at this time what type of impact they will have on the Mouring Doves, but so far, no changes have been detected. 

I checked a national birding report and a few others have been seen in the Rockford area and at Starved Rock.  Keep your eyes open, you may spot one of these too.

The collared-dove perched in a tree.

Foraging on the ground.  It might not show well, but they have red eyes.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment