I have enjoyed nature and it's beauty for as long as I can remember. Photographing it to share is a new hobby. I still have much to learn. Any helpful hints and constructive criticism is always welcome.


I will try to post new items weekly so check back. It is my pleasure to share nature's gifts with you. I find myself amazed at some of the beauty I find while out for a walk.


Feel free to use any postings for personal use. Uses for monetary gains are strictly prohibited.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Just living is not enough." said the butterfly. "One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."

- Hans Christian Anderson

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.

-John Burroughs

Monday, May 2, 2011

A Visit to Horicon Marsh - Post #1

I spent a beautiful spring day at Horicon Marsh in Wisconsin. I was amazed at how many different species of birds I found. Below is a sample of some of the photos I took. 

Birds were everywhere I looked. Although there were the common Canada geese, Mallard ducks and red-winged blackbirds, there was so much more. I will definitely go back again as what you find, changes all the time.


The male Cowbird doing a little dance trying to win the female's affection.  She was not interested a flew off shortly after I took this shot.

This is a Yellow-rumped Warbler.  He is a "Myrtle" variety.    They have  the white under the throat.  He is passing through on his way to the Rockies for breeding.

A male Redhead duck. 


This is a Black-Crowned Night Heron.  Usually these birds are only found at night and will hide in thick vegetation during the day. 


This is another Yellow-rumped warbler with different black chest markings.  I believe he is still a "Myrtle" variety.


A Great Blue Heron landing on a muskrat house.


Two more Night Herons searching for food.


This was my favorite shot of the Night Herons.  I like his deep ruby colored eyes.


A pair of Blue-winged Teal.  They were quite abundant the day we were there.


Close-up of the male Blue-winged Teal.


A male Ruddy duck.  Their tail feathers often stick straight up in the air, but I wasn't able to catch his that way as he kept diving for food.  His blue bill and rust sides were a stunning combination.


One of two white pelicans I seen.  The knob on its bill is a sign he is a mature bird.  That knob will fall off after breeding season.


A Barn Swallow posing for his picture.  I took advantage of him sitting still and got this shot.  He let me get about five feet away from him.


This is a Pied-billed Grebe.  A tiny sized diver that feeds on fish.


A Palm Warbler.  He is of the "Yellow" variety.  Males and females look  similar.  They are ground loving birds that love marshes and bogs.


Watch for the next post with more photos from the marsh!  I have much more to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment